The United States consumes almost 8 billion chickens a year, and that’s about 250 eggs per capita. So how much do you really know about the hens and the eggs they lay? Check out some of these crazy egg facts!
- There’s an estimated 50 billion eggs laid in the United States each year
- A chicken will turn her egg around 50 times a day to keep it from sticking to the side of the shell
- Producing a dozen eggs requires a chicken to eat 4 pounds of feed
- Eggs are a great source of lutein, which is good for your eyes!
- The yolk and white of an egg is made up of 74% water, 11% fat and 12% protein
- Some scientists think chicken eggs are the closest living relative of Tyrannosaurus Rex eggs
- Chickens can lay up to 320 eggs a year!
Do you ever stop to think about where your food comes from? Maybe you should!